6/10/2015

Tips on How to Find the Perfect Job

A cup of coffee one of my co-workers and now best friend bought me when I was having a rough day-- she is literally the best!

Unfortunately, finding the perfect job is not easy, but it isn't impossible either.  It just takes a lot of time and testing the waters.  I personally went through this when I was trying to find a job, as I didn't really know what I was looking for.  Unfortunately, my first job was a bust, however, it definitely helped me figure out what I wanted to do-- retail.  Lucky for me, I was able to get a job at Anthropologie, and I am so blessed I did because I wouldn't trade it for anything in the world.  Here are a few tips on how you can find your perfect first job!

1. Research: One thing I failed to do when starting to look for a job was research.  I just went for what was available without knowing a lot about what I was getting in to, which ultimately led to me being unhappy.  After that first experience, I knew I really needed to look around and research the job I would be doing.  Overall, I decided that Anthro was a great fit!

2. Hours: A good thing to know going into a job is what hours you will be getting.  You will need a job that works for you because you will want to make money and get the most hours you can, especially if you are going into college and have to pay for a lot of your own things.

3. Get to Know the People: Going into my employment with Anthro, I actually knew quite a few people; not really well, but having shopped the store, I had met the people that worked there and I loved them!  Knowing and getting along with your co-workers is really important to you loving your job, so make an effort to meet some people at your prospective employer.

4. Benefits: This isn't super important to you loving where you work, but it definitely makes the job more enjoyable.  In all honesty, I liked my benefits at theater and I like my benefits at Anthro-- both are awesome!  The one thing I will give Anthro is that, beside the great clothing discount, they make a big deal of helping you build a 401K and getting some sort of insurance, which is great!

5. Do Something You Love: Another mistake I made, not choosing a job I loved.  Working at a movie theater was not something I really found a lot of interest in, but I didn't really think about that going in.  With Anthro, I love retail because I love working with new styles and helping people find clothes, making the job even more enjoyable!

Have you found your perfect job?  What tips do you have to share?

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...